Why Drink Water
Drink water like your life depended on it - because it does
Why is water so important to our health?
- Water has been called "the most essential nutrient."
- Approximately two thirds of a person's body weight is water.
blood is 63% water the brain is 75% muscles are 75%
the lungs are 80%, the heart is 75%, the liver is 85%
the kidneys are 63% and even the bones are 22% water.
- The benefits of drinking plenty of water:
- Helps us look better by keeping our weight in check;
- Revitalizes dull dry skin and lubricates all of our joints;
- Regulates our body temperature;
- Assists the kidneys in eliminating harmful salts and wastes
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to all the cells in the body;
- Essential for maintaining good health.
- The average adult needs10 to 12 cups of water per day for digestion, perspiration, breathing and elimination of waste.
- 1/3 of our basic water intake is from the fruits and vegetables we eat, leaving a deficit of at least 6 to 8 cups of water a day, which must be added to ensure health and avoid dehydration.
- Strenuous physical exercise demands even more water intake.
(An exercise session can deplete your body's water by 2-5 litres.)
The following DO NOT COUNT towards water intake:
- Drinks containing nutrients, such as milk, fruit juices, sugar-sweetened drinks, salty tomato based juices etc. all take water from the body to process the nutrients.
- Tea, coffee, cola drinks and alcoholic beverages are diuretics that promote urination, causing even greater water loss than the liquid consumed.
What happens if we don't get sufficient water?
- Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
- If the amount of water in your body is reduced by;
- 1% you feel very thirsty and your metabolism slows down.
- 3% can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math and difficulty focusing on the printed page.
- 5% you will have difficulty moving your muscles or thinking clearly, reducing your ability to work by 20-30%.
- At 10% loss of body water you will die.
- · Drinking 8 glasses of water daily is said to reduce the risk of:
- colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79%,
- bladder cancer by 50%, rectal cancer by 38%.
- back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
- kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
- constipation, migraine headaches and obesity.
CANCER IS PREVENTABLE
- Scientific research has revealed that the quality of the water is directly proportional to the health and longevity of people in 5 regions of the world who regularly live up to 120 years of age.
- Surveys show that 75% of North Americans are chronically dehydrated and it is reaching epidemic proportions because water is substituted with other liquids that actually increase the body's demand for water.
- In 37% of North Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger. Hence, we mistakenly snack when we should be drinking water to satisfy the body's emergency warning signals.
Most people take better care of their cars.
.. than their own body.
How bad is our tap water?
- Research by Federal, Provincial and City departments, as well as scientists in universities across the country and around the world, have declared that the regular use of chlorinated water for an extended period of time leads to disease such as cancer heart disease, birth defects and other degenerative disorders.
- Over the past two decades we, and our society, have dumped more chemical waste, sewage, poisons, industrial waste and drugs into our water sources than at anytime in history. Our rivers, lakes and even the subterranean aquifers that supply our wells and springs, have become contaminated by the leaching of pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, nitrates, PCB's phosphates, dioxins and other toxic substances. Manure and organic waste has increased bacteria in our water sources.
- Scientists have identified over 2300 chemicals in our water.
- There are three areas of concern. The source water is being contaminated, as outlined above. The treatment process adds Aluminum Sulphate, Chlorine and Sodium-Silico-Fluoride to our water. All three are poisonous. The Aluminum Sulphate helps separate the solids, the Chlorine is essential to disinfect the water and kill the bacteria and when water passes through the distribution pipelines it picks up pollutants such as copper, iron, zinc and lead which often cause unpleasant odour, taste and discoloration, along with serious long term health effects.
- Our water purification people are fighting an uphill battle. With limited resources, they try to clean up the water as best they can and they do a good job for the short term. Without the chlorine, most of us would be dead in days from water-born bacteria and viruses. Unfortunately Chlorine reacts to organic matter in the water and creates Trihalomethanes and Haloacetates, which have been proven to be carcinogenic.
- Escherichia Coli (E.Coli), Gardia Lamblia, Fecal Coliform and Cryptosporidium are microscopic parasites found in the feces of infected humans or animals, often found in water sources after snowmelt or rainstorms, can cause serious intestinal illness. These parasites are mostly chlorine resistant and it is estimated that 1/3 of gastro intestinal illnesses can be traced to microbes in tap water.
- Current testing methods for Cryptosporidium miss about 90% of the parasites in the raw and finished water.
- 10 years ago, statistics showed 1 in 15 would suffer with cancer. Current projections are 1 in 2 within the next 10 years.
- Scrutinizing the contents of our drinking water can reveal a deadly cocktail of poisons in minute traces that destroy healthy body cells or collect in the body and cause harm.
- Most people do not drink enough water because chlorinated water doesn't taste good and they defer to sweet tasting drinks that diminish rather than increase their body's water supply.
- Virtually every day the media reports incidents of pollution and contamination of our municipal water sources. Water quality varies from city to city, street to street and tap to tap. Water can change from day to day depending on water treatment techniques and controls. If you could see the state of the water pipes from the plant to your home you would want the disinfecting power of chlorine in the water right up to your tap but at that point you have to make a decision..
"you can either have a filter or you will be the filter."
If you decide to be the filter, remember that replacing the clogged human organs can be a long, painful and sometimes fatal process and the replacement you get is not even a new one.
It's your decision. Do you want you and your family to be the filters? Or do you want to be able to throw away the bacteria, chemicals, heavy metals, poisons and other contaminants every couple of years and start with a brand new fresh filter cartridge?
<< Back to Water Purifiers