What are my options?
Forget it. Go HERE for info on tap water.
- Fastest growing beverage industry in the world, $22 billion a year with little or no government regulation, standards or controls.
- Very expensive compared to other filtered waters. 99% of cost is the bottle, the label, transportation, advertising and profit.
- Large bottles and multi-packs heavy and inconvenient to carry.No disinfecting agent ( Chlorine ) to prevent bacteria build-up during storage, which is usually months or years. (check expiry date)
- Prolonged storage leads to leeching of trace toxic chemicals from the bottle into the water. ( Phtylate and Vinyl Chloride ).
- Despite perceptions that it's healthier, there is little difference between bottled water and tap water.
- According to the FDA, "Companies that market bottled water as being safer than tap water are defrauding the public."
- 1.5 million tons of plastic used to bottle water every year.
- Toxic chemicals released into the environment during the manufacture and disposal/recycling of plastic bottles.
- Often healthy minerals and salts are lost when water is filtered.Even spring water is subject to aquifer contamination.
SMALL PITCHER OR FAUCET MOUNTED FILTERS
- Fairly low initial cost.
- A small gravity filter while able to remove unpleasant taste and odours is not effective in the removal of heavy-duty pollutants such as harmful bacteria, toxic chemicals and heavy metals.
- Quote from Brita water filter cartridge packaging.
"Caution! The Brita water filter is not intended to purify water."
- Reduced Chlorine gives the impression water is clean but it's not.
- Quote from City of Ottawa Water Purification website
" The presence of organic nutrients in carbon filters
can promote bacterial growth, as quickly as overnight.
- Water Works Association has described small cartridge units in a pitcher or that attach to the tap as "totally useless", because of their size and the brief exposure time.
- VOC's may be carried over into the distilled water.
- Best suited for municipal water. Rural waters of high mineral content will cause excessive scaling and increase maintenance.
- Does not kill or remove all bacteria.
- The receiving containers may become contaminated once again.
- Regular cleaning and the de-scaling of the elements of the boiler are required.
- Produces flat tasting water devoid of all minerals.
- Water cooled units wastes 50% or more of the water they use in the process.
- Expensive to purchase, operate and maintain.
- Requires pre and post filters to be highly effective.
- Systems are large and bulky.
- Quality system are not very portable.
- Along with the very slow production of water, the water must be stored, which means that without careful planning it is easy to "run out".
- Distilled water is energetically dead and very acidic.
(Go HERE for more info on Distilled Water)
REVERSE OSMOSIS DISADVANTAGES
- Slow production requires large holding reservoir.
- Holding tank is subject to bacteria contamination.
- Removes all healthy Minerals.
- Most need a drain to flush away impurities.
- Membrane susceptible to damage or rupture.
- Requires pre and post filters to be efficient.
- Hot water and chlorine will destroy many RO membranes.
- Expensive systems to maintain.
- Chlorine will affect life of the RO membrane.
- Bacteria will pass through ruptured membrane.
- Damaged membrane not easy to detect. Electronic monitoring should be used.
- Requires technician to install and service.
- Wastes 60% To 85% of the water it processes.
- Water is flat and has little or no life to it.
- Acitic water causes many health problems.
- Systems usually are large and bulky.
GRANULAR ACTIVATED CARBON FILTERS
- Will not remove harmful bacteria or heavy metals from the water.
- Does not require holding tank but filter can become a breeding ground for bacteria, requiring regular filter replacement.
- Most units are sealed and not cleanable (No replaceable cartridge).
- Granular carbon permits water under pressure to forge channels through the granular carbon allowing unfiltered water through. (referred to as channeling)
- No pre filter to prevent premature clogging of the filter.
- Leeching can occur from the plastic housing into the water.
- Pre-filtration is required
- Clean glass parts are most important to ensure adequate UV exposure
- Downstream plumbing must be disinfected on any broach and upon installation
- Must constantly monitor for increased level of bacteria counts
- Should be installed by a qualified serviceman
- System requires electricity to operate. Power failure shuts system down
- Must have built in or added on control devices
- System requires constant maintenance of UV bulb and other components.
- Does not effectively deal with giardia lambia cysts "Beaver Fever"
- Requires special attention when treating surface water supplies.
ION EXCHANGE [DE-MINERALIZATION] DISADVANTAGES
- Must use additional filters to remove bacteria, sediment, chlorine and organics
- Requires constant checking to maintain efficiency.
- Bacterial regrowth in resin bed can present major health concerns
- Susceptible to fouling from iron, manganese and copper.
- Will create channels when pressure drop is excessive.
- Electronic monitoring devices should be installed
- Back washing required to be effective in the exchange process.
Most old technology systems left elevated levels of sodium in the water, rendering it unfit for drinking without prior purification.
THE BELKRAFT WATER PURIFIER WITH THE DOULTON PORCELAIN CERAMIC PRE-FILTER.
According to a quote from the 'Alive' health magazine in an article comparing all water filtration methods;
"The best type of filter to buy would be an activated carbon block filter with a sediment pre-filter to remove bacteria and parasites , and an automatic shut off point when the filter has reached it's limit."
Removes all harmful bacteria, parasites and viruses including Gardia Lambia Cysts , Cryptosporidium , E Coli , Fecal Coliforms, Hepatitus B and Salmonella
Removes all toxic chemicals including dioxins , arsenic, asbestos , Benzene , nitrates, PCB's and 100's more.
Removes all heavy metals including lead , mercury, aluminum , iron, copper, zinc, magnesium and silver.
Removes carcinogenic chlorination bi-products ( Trihalomethanes .)
Provides safe drinking water during "boil water orders" or breakdowns in the city's purification system. e.g. Walkerton, where 6 died and 2500 were very sick, (some will never recover), North Battleford, Charlottetown, St. John's, Cranbrook, Kelowna, Sioux Lookout and Milwaukee where 100 died and 400,000 were sick.
Washable sub-micron Porcelain Ceramic pre-filter prevents clogging of the cartridge and thereby extends its effective life.
It is the only purifier on the market that leaves calcium and other healthy natural minerals and trace elements intact. ( Read more on the importance of minerals HERE )
Stage three is a solid carbon block , which is so compressed that it is the equivalent of over 300,000 square yards of filtering media.
Porcelain-Ceramic pre-filter is impregnated with silver , which renders its surface bacteriostatic, killing any bacteria and preventing it from contaminating the filter cartridge. This silver impregnation is stable, unlike silver impregnated granular carbon from which the silver soon leeches out and enters your drinking water.
Ceramic pre filter also acts as an automatic shut off valve by slowing water flow to indicate that the ceramic needs cleaning without risking contamination of the cartridge or drinking water.
Because the healthy minerals remain , the water has a sweet delicious energetic taste.
The surgical stainless steel filter housing is built to last a lifetime, is easy to clean and maintain and comes with a lifetime warranty.
Installation and any required service on the filter is provided free.
100% of water utilized.
The BELKRAFT Water Filter is tall with a small base and therefore occupies very little cupboard or counter space.
Good water flow, produces two litres of pure water a minute.
Can be used safely on rural or municipal water unlike other filtering systems that require chlorinated water.
Backed by two well respected companies; BelKraft with over 40 years experience in Surgical Stainless Steel and Doulton of England a world leader who have been making ceramic water filters since 1827 and currently produce over 100 million filters a year.
It is the only ceramic water filter that is NSF Certified under standards 42 and 53 . And all media ingredients meet or exceed NSF and England's Water Research Council Performance Standards.
For more details about our water purifiers call us toll free at 1-877-523-7800
or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
<<back to water purifiers